Not your typical little mermaid.

My second tattoo design request came shortly after JJ showed off my first to my coworkers.

A girl I work with, Amy requested I design her a mermaid tattoo to fit on her side,
and so, sparked by a surge of inspiration, I finished the design
a few days later.
I had agreed to do the piece for free, as she was a friend, and also
for the opportunity to put the finished product in a portfolio.

She loved the design, and from that point it was settled.


A couple months later, she set an appointment to get the tattoo done.
I had requested to go with her, since I was unable to go with JJ
when she got hers done.

However, upon showing up at the tattoo parlor, I learned a few things
that at the time were a little upsetting.

One was that a good 2/3 of my tattoo design had been altered by the tattooist,
and the rest had been traced from my original drawing.




The finished piece is beautiful, as you can see, but it is no longer my work,
and I can not use this photo in a portfolio.

I've chosen to see this as a valuable learning experience.

Tattoo artists, whenever they can, will request the opportunity
to add their own touch to a piece, which is understandable.
In the art world, you have to make a name for yourself wherever you can.

I implore my clients to please keep my pieces as is, and leave
any alterations up to me.


Tattoo design © Sophia Cowan
Tattoo application and redesign © Becky Benson
( www.benaroundtattoos.com )
Photograph © Amy Shumaker

Category: ,  
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response.
5 Responses
  1. gravatar JJ

    Don't get me wrong, I love Becky as an artist, but I like your design better than the finished product. Good job Soph :)

  2. gravatar Anonymous

    Yeah I totally agree—your's was wayyy better. You are so talented Soph!!! Why did I not know about this blog, might I ask?? xoxo

  3. gravatar Sara

    Ooops—that last comment was from me, Sara. This one too. :p

  4. Hey sis! Thanks for dropping by!
    I'm glad you like it :D.
    I'm not really sure why I didn't tell you about the blog. Must have totally skipped my mind. But I'm glad you found it!!! xoxoxo

  5. gravatar Anonymous

    That tattoo artist really effed up the face of the mermaid... sucks when your designs are executed poorly... check out my blogs: http://www.EnvyInkTattoo.com and check out my Tattoo Confessionals at http://www.JoshuaLaBello.com